I often re-architect my blog to try out new and interesting ways to make it faster, easier to manage, and generally try and make it a little bit better each time I touch it.
In it's latest re-incarnation I have been trying out a new architecture for a publishing client with demanding editorial requirements and a truly global audience.
As with nearly all business solutions, there are multitude of variables that must be considered throughout including budgets, existing staff skill-sets, ongoing maintenance and operational costs etc. etc.
Whilst my blog is only a relatively simple prototype, it has proven the pulling together of some interesting technologies and techniques which so far I have enjoyed... and it's working well to which is always a bonus ;)
In this article I want to explain the background to some of the architectural choices I've made in this live prototype.
The migration of existing data is one of the major tasks we need to consider when moving to a new technology platform.
Drupal does have a migration story in terms of an available plugin which can greatly help to get your data in; however it is not a simple plug and play - there would still be a good amount of work to complete in order to successfully migrate.
Whilst I am not a PHP developer I do have a great deal of experience working with REST API's therefore choosing to make use of the Drupal 8 REST API for the migration is a no-brainer for me.
In this series I am going to walk through the steps I took to migrate from a custom SQL database to a fully managed Drupal 8 CMS.